cool buildings
![]() |
useful shop-house
good coffee
lovely date
Bolstered by the previous wander I went with a friend one morning to check out the residential area and alleged hipster hangout of Tiong Bahru. The problem with Tiong Bahru is I REALLY like it and once again my photos don't do justice. It has a very laid back low rise feeling to it. Chinese influences are much more evident than in my neighborhood, or the business district - which is always kind of nice - to be reminded we are in Asia !
I have lifted the following directly from Wikipedia : ( is that allowed ? )
" Built in the 1930s, Tiong Bahru Estate is one of the oldest housing estates in Singapore ... The construction style of the estate is a mix of Streamline Moderne and local shop-house architecture. The flats feature rounded balconies, flat rooftops, spiral staircases, light wells and underground storage and shelters. One notable feature of Tiong Bahru estate is that all its streets are named after Chinese pioneers of the 19th and early 20th centuries (Lim Liak, Kim Pong, Guan Chuan, Chay Yan, etc.). "
No wonder the hipsters like it. It was a bit early for hipster sightings. But we definitely saw one, possibly two. And their presence is evidenced by several very smart coffee shops. There is also a lovely market, with fresh produce and fish - it was airy and clean not like others I have seen. It would be fun to make a habit of heading over there for oh an espresso macchiato and fresh cut flowers.





1 comment:
Thank you! Shall I visit you as a hipster?
Post a Comment