Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pretty as a Peony


I considered not going in this garden, but shelled out the 600 Yen, and if I dont bother converting that, I am so glad I did. It really was magical, more so I am sure because it was unexpected and unknown. I noticed a sign saying the garden is only open from Jan 1-march 1. and that was the deciding factor. Inside I followed a sort of flat switchback path, past these unbelievably beautiful peonies. I am partial to peonies but these were exceptional. Each had a little straw house or umbrella to protect it from the elements. And despite the hard winter Japan has had, the flowers were very robust. The garden was tucked in next to a temple (actually between a temple and one of the homeless tent-towns that were dotted through out the park, less I over romanticise things ) and music from the temple speakers wafted over the walls, making the scene all the sweeter.

No comments: