Today Owain starts a one year assignment actually working at a Japanese firm. One of the great grand daddies of Nipponese industry, a venerable pillar of Japan's corporate world. I have read that they still start the day with group exercise and a rousing rendition of the company song. That could be some sort of expat urban myth, we soon shall see. I do know that there are no private offices, instead you sit with your department around a large oval table, and no one leaves till the last man's work for the day is done. So, after getting a haircut on Sunday and shaving for the first time in three weeks, O donned his best grey suit, loaded up on business cards and headed off a good deal earlier then usual this morning. I think I am more nervous then he is. It is true the oft highlighted cultural differences between 'gaijin' and Japanese are vast, but a book I just read (and would recommend) about Japanese Baseball, You Gotta Have Wa, makes it seem that perhaps no where is the divide more accutely felt then in the workplace. Wa is defined as 'team spirit' and no sacrifice is too great to preserve the harmony of team spirit. Ambition, autonomy, individuality, these are very disruptive to Wa. Company songs, morning calisthinics, any kind of organized group suffering including all night karoake sessions it seems are good for Wa. Wives I am guessing, are bad. It is a great opportunity, and should prove to be a very interesting challenge. Cant wait to ask " how was your day at the office ? " That is if they let him come home.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
The party's over
Today Owain starts a one year assignment actually working at a Japanese firm. One of the great grand daddies of Nipponese industry, a venerable pillar of Japan's corporate world. I have read that they still start the day with group exercise and a rousing rendition of the company song. That could be some sort of expat urban myth, we soon shall see. I do know that there are no private offices, instead you sit with your department around a large oval table, and no one leaves till the last man's work for the day is done. So, after getting a haircut on Sunday and shaving for the first time in three weeks, O donned his best grey suit, loaded up on business cards and headed off a good deal earlier then usual this morning. I think I am more nervous then he is. It is true the oft highlighted cultural differences between 'gaijin' and Japanese are vast, but a book I just read (and would recommend) about Japanese Baseball, You Gotta Have Wa, makes it seem that perhaps no where is the divide more accutely felt then in the workplace. Wa is defined as 'team spirit' and no sacrifice is too great to preserve the harmony of team spirit. Ambition, autonomy, individuality, these are very disruptive to Wa. Company songs, morning calisthinics, any kind of organized group suffering including all night karoake sessions it seems are good for Wa. Wives I am guessing, are bad. It is a great opportunity, and should prove to be a very interesting challenge. Cant wait to ask " how was your day at the office ? " That is if they let him come home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment