Wednesday, October 18, 2006

i heart kyoto



We got back Sunday nite from a four day trip to Kyoto. I love that city. Its like a Japanese Paris only with nicer waiters. Cheap and easy shot, ( at the waiters ) but probably true. Anyway it is crammed with temples, teahouses, funky little back streets, a raging - pretty racy - nite life, green hills to one side, and a giant river ambling right through the middle. I just walk around thinking, I cant believe people live here. This was my third trip there, so I am getting a little better at connecting the sites via atmospheric little lanes & canals, which makes all the difference. We even saw a few Maiko, trainee Geisha, as we wandered about. Maiko are young girls, 16 & up, who undergo a five year apprenticeship before becoming Geisha. You can tell a Maiko, mainly from their giggling girlish demeanor, but also by the red and white collar of their inner kimono. And I think by whether or not they have lipstick on their upper lip, which only graduated Geisha are allowed, but they have a skillful knack for turning their adorned little backs on you.

No comments: