Thursday, November 18, 2010

temples and fish

Tekka Market


Hindu Temple in Little India



Buddhist temple in Chinatown

Stepping into these temples, which we had not planned to do, was like stepping into a different world. I felt like I was on the road traveling. Especially at the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple which was dark and crowded with people making offerings to various deities. Most seemed indifferent to our presence ( in a good way) as we stood amazed at the steady stream of devotees. Special chanting was in progress at the massive Buddhist Temple in Chinatown which added to the seriously impressive ambiance. It is a huge and beautiful building I have somehow never seen before. A few people seemed quite eager to share the sights of the temple with us, which is obviously very well endowed, it is filled with many many Buddhas. But it was getting late in the day and our feets were tired, so we settled for some fresh juice & people watching across the street before racing back to get M from school.

No comments: